Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode XXXVIII

In case you're just tuning in for the first time, I work at a bank. More specifically, I work at the drive-thru window at a bank. For the most part, this means I stand with my back to the lobby.

Now, occasionally I feel the need to turn around to see if there are any customers lined up in the lobby not being helped by anyone. I'm very fast at what I do, and can therefore move quickly between the window and the lobby. But sometimes, when I turn to check on the lobby situation, I get a little freaked out.

I don't freak out when there are five people waiting impatiently. I get freaked out when a customer that's being helped by one of the other tellers just happens to make direct eye contact with me at the exact moment I turn around. That tells me they've been staring at me. Why have they been staring at my back? Why when I turn around are they looking directly at me?

If it happened once or twice, I wouldn't think it's a big deal. But it happens all the flippin' time! Any other drive-up tellers out there that experience this phenomenon? Please, share your stories. You're not alone.

3 comments:

  1. They are not specifically staring at "you", but they many be staring at the newly forming bald spot on the back of your head......looks like Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok "hooked on phonics worked for me"......should have used spell check.....They are not specifically staring at "you", but they MAY be staring at the newly forming bald spot on the back of your head......looks like Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are staring at your back so they don't have to look the person helping them in the eye. And when you turn around they have no where to look, because then they would have to be looking you in the face.

    ReplyDelete