Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Life Story: Chapter Nine

Where was I? Oh yeah, leaving Salem. We left Salem at some point in the mid-80s. I can't remember exactly when. I want to say sometime in 1986. But I really don't know if I was still in kindergarten or if it was between that and 1st grade. I do know that we were on our way to Stratford Park Apartments in southwest Roanoke. But on the way there we made a pit stop.

In my mind, we spent a couple months living in my grandparents' basement in Botetourt County. In reality, it may have only been a week or two. What was so exciting about this endeavor is that Mamaw and Papa had cable. You know, we very well could have had cable back on Reece Rd., but we didn't have Nickelodeon.

And this is back when Nickelodeon was good. This is when we had Picture Pages with Bill Cosby. We had You Can't Do That On Television. None of this Spongebob or Drake and Josh crap you see these days. I miss Turkey TV.

You know what else Mamaw and Papa had? A pool table. Not that I was old enough to really comprehend the object in playing pool. It was just fun to roll the balls into the pockets and watch for them to roll through to the end of the table. Good times.

It was during this time that my sister became scarred for life. I remember it as if it was yesterday. Mom had been getting ready for work and had her curling iron sitting on her dresser. April decided to foolishly play with the hot item and dropped it on her foot. There really wasn't much of a story there, but I'm fairly certain April still has that scar on her foot. I think she learned a lesson that day. Straight hair means safe hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment