Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Going Pro

I started this blog back in late 2004. But I didn't really get into the whole blogging phenomenon until 2007. In fact, I didn't post anything at all in 2006. At least not here.

Anyway, now I'm really into this thing. And in my journeys around the interweb, I've noticed that there are a lot of people out there who do this professionally. There are people who are being paid to keep a blog. And I just want to know, how do I get a piece of that action?

For example, there's Brigitte Dale, who keeps a video blog over at ABC Family's website. She asks that you please not call it "vlogging" because it sounds like something vulgar. Now, I assume she's being compensated by ABC Family to keep producing these video blogs. I don't think I'd want to do something like that for a major network out of the kindness of my heart.

Now, I can't say that's her only source of income. I wouldn't know, I've never sat down and had a conversation with Ms. Dale. But it would be interesting to find out how she got her start and where she got a foot in the door. My first exposure to her videos was over at TV Squad, which employs a number of writers.

If blogging was an Olympic event, I'd say I want to maintain amateur status so I could make an attempt at a gold medal. But it's not. So I'd kind of like to cash in on this internet thing. It's a fad that doesn't seem to be going away. I just have to believe that there's something out there better than the day job.

1 comment:

  1. HAHA I THNK YOU COULD DEF. GET SOME BIG BUCKS FOR YOUR BLOG! YOU NEED TO DO STAND UP, YOU HAVE ALL THE MATERIAL YOU NEED JUST FROM YOUR JOB EXPERIANCE AT THE BANK! LOL

    ReplyDelete