Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History

A lot of Americans believed that this day would never come. I am ashamed to say that I can be counted among the scoffers. I was unwilling to believe that a change could come. I even made comments of derision toward those who clung to hope. And yet, today arrived and I was proven wrong.

I woke up on this historical day and looked outside. From my window, I knew that after today, my point of view would be changed. I knew that the world around me would be changed. As I greeted the day, I could no longer believe in maintaining the status quo. I knew that there would be things in my life that I would need to reevaluate. I knew that I would need to adjust some of my thinking. I knew I would need to adjust minute details: from the way that I dress down to the way that I drive.

I've never, in my life, been more happy to admit that I was wrong.



After living here for a year and a half, I've finally seen snow in North Carolina. Yesterday I heard on the radio that there was a winter storm watch on the way. The DJ making the announcement was way too excited about it. To me, this was a jinx. I didn't want to get my hopes up. If I don't get my hopes up, then I don't get disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Last night I went to the Greenehouse to watch 24. I got there as the meteorologist announced a winter storm warning that would result in 3 to 6 inches of snow. Again, I scoffed. I didn't want to believe it. But as you can see from the above pictures, the snows came. I woke to a blanket of white outside my building. And the snow is still coming. It's no blizzard, but the snowfall is steady. I think we need some more days like this.

No, I know we need more days like this.

1 comment:

  1. what the heck! im so upset that in north carolina they can get a ground covering snow day and us "northerners" in virginia cant! mother nature why must you be so cruel? i want some snow! its 16 degrees out side and there is no snow up here! we are forsed to endure the cold with no reward of even a ground dusting! NO FAIR!!

    ReplyDelete