Wednesday, April 22, 2009

American Idol: 7 becomes 5

Last night Randy called this top 7 the best top 7 in the show's history. Really? The best? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, this top 7 isn't bad. They all have varying degrees of vocal ability, but they're not the best of seasons past. Compared to some (not all) previous seasons, this group ranks as merely mediocre.

The most unfortunate part of the night is that it's still disco week. Also, unfortunately, last season's David Archuleta is performing. I was never a fan of that kid. But whatever.

We kick off the night by taking a look at the group preparing for tonight's group song, which has been choreographed by Paula Abdul herself. There's so much movement happening tonight, the Idols are forced to perform with headset mics. But you know, those things are little more than props. It's beyond obvious that they're back to the lip-synched singing. Maybe they realized how awful the live performance was last week and decided to go back to that old standard. Paula is so proud of her handiwork. And they're giving her flowers.

After another lame Ford video, we get to the good stuff. Lil stands and is in the bottom three. Oh, wait... no bottom three. Lil Rounds' journey ends right now. No waiting. We're forced to hear her sing the song that put her out of her misery once more.

Next we're forced into an involuntary sampling of ridiculous disco songs performed by some of their original artists. And it's some kind of bad. The first one (whose name escapes me and I don't care enough to rewind the DVR) is flat the whole time she's singing. Thelma Houston keeps throwing Simon's name into the song. She must have a thing for him. Next we're treated to KC of the Sunshine Band. I know it's said a lot, but it's said for a reason. Disco is dead. People should really stop playing Frankenstein with genre of music.

Back to live action... Kris is asked to stand. This is a no-brainer. Dude's safe. Adam stands, also a no-brainer. Safe. Danny stands and is safe. Anoop stands and is sent to the other end of the stage. Allison and Matt are all that's left and are asked to stand. Allison is the one in the bottom three. Are you kidding me, America? How on earth day do you manage to keep Matt over Allison?

Look, I'm the first to admit I'm not a big fan of the girl, but come on. She's better than Matt. She was definitely better than Matt last night. I think it's time to take the vote away from the public. American Idol should no longer be a democracy. Time to turn it into a dictatorship.

Archuleta provides a time-filling break from the real reason I'm watching this show tonight. I think I like him just as much as I did last season. Some day I'll learn to not watch the results show until 10 so I can fast forward through all the crap I don't want to watch.

And without further gilding the lily and with no more ado, Anoop is going home. I'm not too surprised here. I figured him for sixth place at the start of the top 13. Next week I'll be writing for the News & Observer's blog, so I won't be sharing my thoughts here. I'll post a link though. You'll have the chance to see what I think about the top 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment