Sunday, July 13, 2014

23rd - Something Missing

Day Twenty-Three... Something that I miss...

I don't spend a lot of time missing things. To me, that feels a bit much like living in the past. Honestly, I miss people more than I miss things, but even that can become a pointless kind of depressing. When you miss people, often you can do something about it. If it's someone who's moved away, call them on the phone. If it's someone who's passed away, reminisce about the good times you had with that person.

Things are different. Things come and go. That's just the nature of... well... things. No point hanging on to something that's temporary at best. But I suppose, if I really sit and think about it, there are some things that I miss.
  • Quantum Leap - It was a great show. And it never had a proper ending. Scott Bakula's still acting. I don't understand why we can't get a cheaply made SyFy movie follow up. If Sharknado can get a sequel, why can't Dr. Sam Beckett?
  • Lite-Brite - I know they still make some version of this toy. But it's not the same as it was when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure it was a very dangerous fire hazard. I mean, we attached black construction paper to the grid, beneath which lay a light bulb that got pretty freakin' hot. We used the colored pegs to make designs, effectively shoving tiny shreds of paper into the area containing the bulb. It was like kindling. But I have fond memories of sitting in the floor watching cartoons and creating awesomely lit 3D-ish pictures.
  • Spirograph - Another childhood creativity toy that I'm sure is still out there somewhere, albeit in a poorly cloned version of itself. Come to think of it, there's probably an app for that.'
  • Fruitopia - Does anyone else remember this drink? Specifically, I miss the Strawberry Passion Awareness flavor. I'm sure it was all sugar and no actual fruit juice. But it was delicious.
  • Harry Potter - Maybe it's because I'm sitting here watching ABC Family's 974th Harry Potter marathon weekend. Maybe it's because JK herself just wrote an article from the point of view of Rita Skeeter at the Quidditch World Cup. I don't think I'm alone in saying it'd be pretty cool to have a follow up novel following a grown-up Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Or maybe their kids.
  • Arcades - Remember when you could go to the mall with a pocketful of quarters and find hours of entertainment? Ms. Pac-Man (why wasn't this called Pac-Woman?), Donkey Kong, pinball machines... so much nostalgia. Apparently the arcades were attracting an undesirable crowd. Thanks a lot, modern youths. Ruining for the rest of us.
I guess those are some things I miss. Again, why miss things? Life is complicated enough without dwelling on the things we just don't have anymore.
Found this on Pinterest. I know it's not real. But how awesome would that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment