Saturday, December 27, 2008

Four Christmases

I think that Old School was my first real exposure to Vince Vaughn. I missed a lot of his early work. I avoided the Psycho remake and have never seen Swingers all the way through. But whatever my first Vince Vaughn movie, I've thought he was hilarious ever since. I think it's the way he just goes off on these long tangents that have very little to do with the plot of the movie but somehow make sense when he's the one saying them. I'm not saying that I have some kind of boy-crush on Vince Vaughn, I just think he's funny. The crush part would come with Reece Witherspoon. I've had a thing for her since Far Away Home. That's real old school.

So about a week before Four Christmases came out, I was debating whether or not I'd want to see it. In fact, in talking with Nicole, I predicted from the trailer that the plot would involve a great deal of embarassment for the main characters, leading to some sort of misunderstanding between them, causing a brief break-up, which would in turn lead to a reconciliation because they would realize that Christmas just wasn't the same without each other. I was really close on this one.

The movie was extremely funny. I laughed so hard that I nearly cried. But I didn't cry. I don't cry. Okay, I cried a little, but it was very touching toward the end. I definitely recommend this movie. About 15 minutes into it, I decided that this would be one I would want on DVD. But if you go see it, don't sit next to the lady I sat next to.

I had the good fortune to sit next to a rather large woman with an obnoxiously loud laugh. I knew I was in trouble when she went into histarics over that new Wayans comedy that spoofs dance movies. I don't even remember the title of it. I'm trying to block it out. It looked that stupid. The woman next to me was going nuts. It only got worse from there. The next trailer was for Marley and Me. She laughed even more. God help me, I thought I was going to have to move. For a moment I was tempted to leave Jen and Nicole behind to fend for themselves. For a moment, Jen was tempted to throw a shoe at the large laugher. During the movie, she even talked to the characters. Here's a tip, just because you can see and hear them doesn't mean they can see and here you. Save the talking to the screen for when you're in the privacy of your own home where no strangers will openly mock you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment