Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode XLI

'Tis the season to be jolly. To be generous. To be kind and understanding of your fellow man. Unless you happen to be a bank customer at my drive-thru window. Then it's the season to be greedy and impatient.

Take, for example, my day at the bank today. I've been here for less than an hour, and already I'm fed up with the people I'm here to serve. My very first customer was someone in the lobby who had some complicated stuff to do. A cashier's check and several checks to cash.

When I began helping her, there was no one in my drive-thru lane. But then, as soon as I got back to my station with her transactions, there were two cars waiting. This happens all the time, by the way. It's like some cosmic law that sets us up to fail.

Being the well-trained customer service minded person that I am, I told the man in the car that I would be with him in a moment. Meanwhile, I'm working on the lady-in-the-lobby's multiple complicated transactions. A few minutes pass and the lobby has cleared, save for the lady that I was helping. The lobby tellers come to get the drive-thru boxes to lend me a hand.

Then comes the buzzing from lane one. "Are you about to wrap this up!?" Now, I can be a patient person when I want to be. But when someone else's impatience begins to show, I have a real hard time hiding my own. I calmly explained to him that the other tellers were working on his transaction. "We're out here burnin' gas!"

Okay guy, first of all, you're in a Lexus SUV. Obviously our current economic crisis hasn't hurt you all that much. And hey, you're really complaining about burning gas? Have you been by the pump lately? Even here in North Carolina the gas prices have dropped dramatically in the last couple months.

I really wanted to ask this guy where his Christmas spirit was. I really wanted to tell him that we were swamped inside; that there were three of us and thirty of them. Do the math.

And then I exclaimed, as he drove out of sight, "Bah humbug to you too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment