Monday, December 15, 2008

Sore

I'm getting old. It's a fact that I can no longer deny. I know that many of you are out there scoffing at that statement. I realize that I'm merely 28 years old, but believe it or not, I'm beginning to feel time's effects on my body.

If you read my post yesterday, you know that I spent a good bit of time standing on my feet and singing to the tops of my lungs. I also mentioned that as the night ended, my throat became sore.

The pain from that sore throat woke me from restful sleep on an almost hourly basis. It was one of those hurts-to-swallow kind of nights. So I woke up and watched episodes of Friends until I was too tired to keep my eyes open. This cycle repeated itself several times throughout the night. The soreness persists, even as the day drags on. So I'm left wondering, are my pipes tired from singing so much this weekend? Or did the cold night air take a greater toll than I had hoped?

Ignoring the throat for a moment, I turn to the rest of my aching body. Used to be I could stand all day long and not feel a thing. In high school I worked in a factory where it was the norm to stand up for 6-8 hours straight. This weekend involved standing and walking for maybe 3 and a half hours at a time. After that we called it a night.

Whenever I had the chance to sit down, it was like experiencing a new kind of comfort that I'd never known. Then, when I would stand again, I was reintroduced to aches and pains that I just knew that sitting would alleviate. Time and again, those pains returned. Time and again, I would make that groaning noise that I used to make fun of my Dad for making whenever he would get up off the couch. Yeah, I'm making those old guy noises now.

Now, I could chalk these aching muscles up to standing for so long this weekend. Or I could just say that I'm coming down with something and these aches are due to my body being attacked by some kind of virus. Then I could at least have an excuse, other than my advancing years.

No comments:

Post a Comment