Sunday, December 21, 2008

Truthiness

It takes a big person to attack someone's character when they don't have internet access and are unable to defend themselves. If you saw yesterday's post, you know that I was finalizing my move into a new apartment. I had assumed that I would be without internet for quite some time, and so I asked Nicole if she would be willing to post something on my blog. I trusted her to post something well-written and thought out. And then she posts propaganda calling me a liar. By doing this, she has planted doubt into the minds of you, my loyal readers. Her top ten list pretty much describes every way I ever talk to people, this makes it seem as if my speech is full of nothing but lies.

Ladies and gentlemen of the interweb, I implore you to use your judgment in this matter. I was once described by a Sunday school teacher as a "cesspool of useless knowledge." This is a moniker I often wear with pride. Sometimes that useless knowledge just pours out of me. A good outlet for that trivia comes when watching Jeopardy! or playing Trivial Pursuit. The problem is, no one ever wants to play Trivial Pursuit with me. Really, no one likes to lose.

Thus, occasionally these random trivial facts will just burst forth from my brain. Just because it happens to be a fact that I alone know does not make it untrue. And I'm not saying I'm the only one that knows about that random bit of information, but I often find myself being the only one in the room who happens to know. This is obviously to my great detriment as there is no one around to back up my claim.

Now, I will be the first to admit, there are the rare times when I will give a piece of false information just to see how far I can take it. I do this for my own amusement. However, this has proven to be a bad move, as even true and honest statements are met with skepticism and disbelief.

So, since everyone now assumes that I am lying at all times, does this mean that I'm bad at lying, or that I'm really bad at telling the truth?

In all seriousness, a big thanks to Nicole for taking over yesterday. Now that I've moved in I'll be getting my own internet hooked up in the very near future. In the meantime, however, I'm stealing bandwidth from a generous neighbor. Remind me to set up a secure wireless network when I get everything done. I don't want any mooches like me diminishing my signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment