Thursday, October 29, 2009

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode LXV

Two things tonight...

A couple days ago I was approached by my manager and asked if I'd be willing to help out for a few hours at a different branch. I don't do well in new places, so I asked if I could say no. Basically, I had no choice in the matter.

Later that day, we found out that the branch I was scheduled to work in had just been robbed. Now, that's not the reason they needed the extra help, it was just an unhappy coincidence. Not only was that branch robbed, it was robbed by a guy brandishing loaded rifle. Said criminal then proceeded to shoot at people outside the bank as he made his getaway. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Yesterday, my manager asked me if I was still willing to work there today, or was I too afraid after the previous day's robbery? That wasn't an issue. The way I see it, lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice. At least not two days later.

But I did wear my Superman tie today, just in case a theft deterrent was needed. And if that didn't work, then the 75-year-old rent-a-cop standing at the door with his arms crossed over his chest certainly would have done the trick. No one wants to tangle with any of that.

Thing number 2... And speaking of ties...

Remember last week how I decided not to wear a tie to work and I felt like I had upset the natural order of things? Today my manager came up to me and said he'd made a command decision, which will be in effect until the day when and if someone says something to force him to change his mind. I will no longer be required to wear a tie. I'm sure I'll pull one out on occasion. Seems like a waste to have all those ties in my closet and never utilize them. Especially those fun Christmas ties that only get worn once a year. But for the most part, I will be taking him up on that business casual offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment