Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Life Story: Chapter Thirty Five

In 9th grade I took P.E. during the zero period. Zero period took place every day before school actually started. This was a bad idea.

It's hard enough to keep oneself awake during home room. Imagine trying to drag yourself out of bed to run in the gym or play a pick up game of basketball at 7am. Needless to say, I did pretty poorly on that year's physical fitness test.

I don't think I would have ever minded P.E. growing up if it hadn't been for the physical fitness testing. All that pressure to run the mile in a reasonable amount of time and do multiple sit-ups in under a minute. I don't even want to talk about the pull-ups. About the only thing I could do well was the sit & reach. But that's because I was still really anorexic, therefore all those bones in my spine had plenty of room to move around.

Gym was much cooler the following summer when I took my final P.E. credits during summer school. Sure I had to go to P.E. for four hours a day five days a week. But you know what? I got to go swimming and skating and bowling and golfing and tennising and white water rafting. P.E. in summer school was awesome. Way better than the zero period.

No comments:

Post a Comment