Monday, March 28, 2011

AFI 88 - Bringing Up Baby

Bringing Up Baby
1938
Directed by Howard Hawks
Netflix sleeve: Love runs wild for a hapless scientist and an unstoppable heiress in Howard Hawks's classic screwball comedy that ranks high on the American Film Institute's list of the funniest Hollywood films ever made. With her eye on paleontologist David (Cary Grant), heiress Susan (Katharine Hepburn) lures him to her home. But the hilarity begins when Susan's dog steals David's prize dinosaur bone and her pet leopard, Baby, is mistaken for a zoo escapee.

As romantic comedies go, I won't say this has become one of my favorites. I don't even, really, have that much to say about it. I mean, it was all right. There were some funny moments. I'll even admit to laughing out loud a few times. But it really wasn't the raucous, screwball comedy I was expecting after reading the description from Netflix. Not in my top 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment