Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What's Gonna Happen?

Let's take note of a few things.

Fact: Due to scheduled vacations and various staffing issues, I've been allowed to work 40 hours for two weeks in a row. Typically I only get 35 hours a week, which gives me that wonderful Wednesday off. But 40 hours means a slightly beefed up paycheck.

Fact: This week's paycheck will include a bonus thanks to last month's perfect customer service scores.

Fact: In my last shift of delivering pizza, customers were abnormally generous with their tips. At one stop I got $14. At another place, they had already put a tip on the credit card, but at the door the guy handed me a few more bucks. I'm not saying I can retire now, it was just a very good night.

So I'm coming into some unplanned cash. Now I'm just waiting for something bad to happen. Why so pessimistic? I'm glad you asked.

I can't remember a time in my life when I've ever been allowed to actually get ahead of things. So I just have this feeling that something will happen to cause this newfound windfall to go away as quickly as it's come. Maybe my transmission will fall out. I really hope not, I didn't get that much money.

But this is me. Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

1 comment:

  1. So, why not put that money into a small savings account so that you can say yes next time I want to watch a movie that my wife doesn't? I don't think one shoe drops at a time in a down economy. Probably both shoes fall at the same time, and it's more like someone jumping up and down on you. And since that hasn't happened yet, I feel confident that it won't.

    ReplyDelete