Sunday, March 20, 2011

Free

"The coupon says the coffee is free! That means the coffee is free!" Evan yelled at the boy in the doughnut hat. All the anger that had been building up for the last few weeks was finally finding its release. He didn't mean to take out his frustration on the poor customer service kid at the Donut Emporium. It just seemed to be happening.

"Sir, you have to read the fine print," the kid said as calmly and as monotone as he could. "The coffee is free with the purchase of a dozen assorted doughnuts."

"Well," Evan began, looking for the kid's name tag, "Carl, my wallet was stolen yesterday. I have no money. I cannot afford your dozen assorted doughnuts."

"I'm sorry to hear that, sir," said Carl. "My hands are tied. Also, do you really need the caffeine at this point? I'm sorry, but you seem kind of high strung as it is."

Evan sighed heavily and looked up at the ceiling, fighting the overwhelming urge to scream. "Who are you to judge how high strung I am?!"

"Sir, I work in a doughnut shop that specializes in several different award-winning coffee blends. I know what someone looks like when they've become over-caffeinated." Carl was still attempting to remain calm, but the look in the customer's eye was beginning to scare him.

Evan grabbed the coupon off the counter and balled it up and threw it on the floor. He turned around and stormed out of the Donut Emporium, nearly tearing the door off its hinges as he flung it open. He had no cash. He had no driver's license. He had no debit card. And now he had no morning cup of coffee. As Evan walked down the sidewalk, he stuffed his hands deep into his coat pockets and decided that his day couldn't get any worse.

And then it started to rain.

Today's writing prompt is brought to you by Sunday Scribbling.

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I can so relate, you can do anything once you've had that first cup of coffee for the day :)

    I submitted my poem a bit late it's at : http://cynthiamarstonwritingstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor fellow! I like the flow of this piece :)
    Dropping by from SS. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it he is not a fan of rain!
    here's my FREE piece:
    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/01/31/you-me-and-fibonacci/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. You just REALLY don't like the donut guy...or the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. not a fan of rain or pain,

    normal,
    be yourself.

    Happy Writing.

    ReplyDelete