Friday, March 11, 2011

Question of the Week: Sacrifice

Would you be willing to make a substantial sacrifice to have any of the following: your picture on a postage stamp, your statue in a park, a college named after you, a Nobel prize, a national holiday in your honor?

Maybe I'm just not ambitious enough, but none of these things really appeal to me. The way things are looking for the post office, stamps may become a thing of the past. Why would I want to become a statue? One more thing for pigeons to rest and relieve themselves on. Not cool. The only good thing I could think of that would come from winning a Nobel prize is that I might become a clue on Jeopardy someday. And do we really need another day off? Okay, yes, we probably could use that.

Maybe my ambition is just dampened by the fact that I'm on vacation right now. Stop making me think about making sacrifices for the greater good.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment