Friday, March 25, 2011

Question of the Week: Shelter

If you had to spend the next two years inside a small but fully provisioned Antarctic shelter with one other person, whom would you like to have with you?

It would need to be someone that would be fun to talk to. Someone who can share in making sure we stay entertained and don't go crazy with cabin fever. Now, it's been a while since I summered in the Antarctic. Do they have internet access down there these days? Would we still be able to pick up Netflix? Can we Skype with our families back home? That would at least offer some relief when we inevitably get tired of seeing just each other. I mean, there's only so many games of War that a couple of people can play before one of the two screams in a fit of rage and runs out into the blinding snowstorm on the ice shelf.

As for whom I'd like to have there with me, I'm really not sure. I know a lot of you probably expect me to choose the Girl in the White SUV. But let's be reasonable. When she was still coming around, I had a hard time stringing three words together. Would that work for two years straight? I don't think so. And really, as much as I love my closest friends, could any of them really put up with only me and my sarcasm all that time? Besides, most of them are married with kids these days. So I'd probably be best off with a random stranger. Someone who fits a profile after we fill out questionnaires. Kind of like how large universities match freshman roommates. Or Alison Brie, of television's Community and Mad Men. What? She's hot, okay?

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment