Tuesday, April 29, 2008

American Idol: Five

Ladies and gentlemen, this... is my 200th post since I began blogging. I feel like I should have some sort of fanfare or special introduction. But I failed to prepare anything. Maybe 250 or 300 will be special. In the meantime, tonight is just another American Idol critique. Since there are only five contestants this week, they'll each sing two songs. Got to do something to stretch out that hour. Joining us tonight is our special, 200th blog post guest: Neil Diamond. Just to clarify, I'll be scoring after both songs, 'cause the judges won't be judging 'til after both songs. So for me, two songs, one score.

Jason - Forever in Blue Jeans; September Morn
Doug Heffernen is right, if you're not listening closely, it kinda sounds like they're saying "Reverend Blue Jeans." You know that would be a laid back congregation. Jason's first song was pretty good. Nothing that stood out for me, just a typical performance for him. Second song is kind of boring. Overall he gets a 3.

David C - I'm Alive; All I Really Need is You
The real David Cook is back this week, adding a bit of a rock flair to his first song choice. It's working for him. On his second song he has an acoustic song. That's different. As I'm watching his second performance, I'm wondering if he'll be able to pull off what Daughtry should have pulled off back in season 5. I mean, Chris Daughtry should have won that year and he was robbed because America got it way wrong. I mean seriously, Taylor Hicks? Really? Anyway, David's been growing on me the last few weeks. At this point I'd like to see him win it. I'd like to see anyone beat the other David (he's my new Sanjaya, except with slightly more talent). Overall tonight, a 5.

Brooke - I'm a Believer; I Am, I Said
The first one is typically known as a Monkees song, but it was in fact written by Neil Diamond. I'm sure you all already knew that. I gotta say, I'm not impressed with Brooke's rendition of it though. I've said before that I like this girl and I think she has a lot of talent, but a song like this is way outside her comfort zone. When I picture her in her career, I see her sitting on a stool behind a guitar or a piano doing a coffeehouse or Unplugged. She and Jason should tour together someday. Her second song is much better. This is the kind of song that I can see her doing. This one brought her overall score for the night from a 3 to a 4.

David A - Sweet Caroline; America
Okay, I know for a fact that he was off key a little during that first song. A few times actually. But you know what, that's not going to do a thing to deter the tweenage girls of the world from voting for this High School Musical reject. As for his second song... Seriously, I just don't like this kid anymore. I'm tired of hearing him sing. I'm listening hard for mistakes. His voice squeaked. He should have waited for puberty to be over before he auditioned. That's not very objective of me is it? Well you know what? When I'm getting paid to critique these people, then I'll be objective. For now, I'll say what I want. I don't like this kid. 3. Punk.

Syesha - Hello Again; Thank the Lord for the Night Time
Again with the hands waving in the air. Why does that have to happen everytime the lights are lowered and a slow song is sung? I just don't get it. Oh, and Syesha does a pretty good job with said slow song. A little sharp toward the end, but not bad. Her second song isn't really that good. It's just not her. 3.

Realistically, the Davids are safe. The one going home could be any of the other three. Probably Syesha, but who knows these days. Find out tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment