Friday, April 18, 2008

Question of the Week: Cheaters

While out one day, you are surprised to see your mother holding hands with someone who is clearly her lover. She notices you, runs over, and begs you not to say anything to your father. How would you respond? What would you do if your father later told you that he was going crazy because he kept thinking your mother was having an affair yet knew it was just his imagination?

This is a moo point at this juncture. But, were my father still alive, and were my parents not divorced, I would agree not to say anything to my father if I were in this situation. Because it would not be my place to tell him the truth. It would be her place. And I would tell her that. This, of course, after letting her know that I had lost all respect for her, and that she no longer has any right to impart sage advice to her eldest son. If she continued her affair and refused to tell my father, then I'd spill, but only if he brought it up. I'm not going to lie for her to cover up her infidelity.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment