Tuesday, April 22, 2008

American Idol: Six

It's Broadway week, featuring Andrew Lloyd Webber. Is that with two Bs or just the one? I really don't know. I could look it up on this amazing internet machine, but I'm lazy and don't feel like it.

Syesha - One Rock and Roll Too Many
She came in early, I think. She's standing on top of the piano. She's pulling a Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys. She's fully taking advantage of the fact that this is a broadway song. She's fully taking advantage of her acting background. I have no idea what show this song is from though. Vocally she did okay, slightly above average for her. 4.

Jason - Memory
This one is from Cats. I've never seen Cats, and I'm actually okay with that. This really puts him out of his element. It seems a little low for him. When the key changes, he's more in his range. But nothing with this is blowing me away. I mean, it's okay, but it's not great. 3.

Brooke - You Must Love Me
This is from the film version of Evita. She did something that she's done before. She stumbled in the first line, then restarted. The difference here is that it's not her with the piano. There's an orchestra that had to reset themselves. When she gets into the song she does really well, but people are going to remember that flub at the beginning. Overall, a 2.

David A. - Think of Me
From Phantom of the Opera. Okay, when he sings this, it sounds like someone from NSYNC trying to make it on broadway. This arrangement has popped the song up. So maybe it's the arrangement I don't like. Maybe it's the kid. It's hard to tell these days. 3.

Carly - Jesus Christ Superstar
From the musical of the same name. This is really the perfect song for her. She's having fun with it, she's showing off a little. Kinda what she needs to do at this juncture. It's not her best performance, but it is very good. 4.

David C. - Music of the Night
Another from Phantom. I'm impressed. On a night when he's not really able to rock out on a song, he's forced to rely purely on his vocal ability and he has done a fantastic job with it. I've made it no secret that I'm not a fan of his, but he might have won me over tonight. Saved the best for last. 5.

I think the bottom three will be the first three that sang. Syesha, Brooke, and Jason. And really, it could be either Syesha or Brooke going home. Be back here tomorrow night for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment