Sunday, April 06, 2008

Reading is FUNdamental

You know, I generally like to read. But I just don't seem to have time to read the things that I actually want to read. Sure, there's plenty of time to read textbooks and papers for my classes. But what about fiction? What about non-fiction that I could possibly find interesting?

Don't get me wrong, Church History is interesting. The Old Testament is interesting. But every now and then I'd like to read some other things.

Several months ago, I bought a couple books with every intention of reading them. I mean, why else would you buy a book? I don't like the fact that these books are just sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust. Kind of feels like a waste of money that way. That should tell you that even though I've owned these books since January, I haven't even opened them once.

Every now and then I'll go browse on Amazon and take a look at new books that might interest me. I even think about buying some of these new books. But I hold myself back. I remind myself that I have a number of books that I've still never read.

When 2008 began, I set a goal for myself: a book a week all year. That's 52 books. Totally doable, right? I mean, I know people who have read 100 books in a single year. To me that seems crazy, but apparently, for me, 52 was crazy. I did okay for the first two weeks of the year. After that I started a new job, I started a new semester, I got a Playstation. All these things vying for my attention. Maybe I'll be able to read for fun around the end of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment