Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mario Kart

A few years back, Nintendo came out with Mario Kart: Double Dash for the Gamecube. Thus initiating a video gaming craze among my circle of friends. We were addicted. The good news was, we would all openly admit to this addiction. That's the first step to recovery. Or so they say.

Welcome to the new age of addiction. Today, Nintendo released Mario Kart Wii with, wait for it...

A steering wheel.

The deal is, you put the Wii remote into the middle of the steering wheel. Then you use the steering wheel like you're using a steering wheel. Novel concept, right? It's harder than you'd think. It's not like driving a real car, where the steering wheel is stationary and provides some sort of resistance in turning. The "Steering Wiil" (I just made that up) weighs about half a pound (if that). So the only resistance provided is the resistance between your two hands. So, that's pretty much none. This is gonna take some getting used to.

On the plus side, the instruction manual made me aware that you can use the wheel, the nunchuck attachment, or even the old Gamecube controller. I may fall back on the old controller, since that's what I was used to previously. But I'll give this new-fangled contraption a fair shot. I did come in first place when I played the easiest race circuit available. I'm sure I'll wet myself when I find my way to the Rainbow Road. Those are always ridiculously difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment