Monday, April 21, 2008

Legends of the Bank Teller: Episode XVI

I really don't have much to say. I left work pretty frustrated. I don't like to blame customers for my frustrations, but today, it's hard to get around it.

I'm actually going to mention a couple frustrations. The first has to do with ATM deposits. Now, I know that somewhere along the line, someone told you that you don't have to have a deposit slip with the deposit that you make at the ATM. Why would someone tell you that? Because when you insert that envelope, the machine prints your account number, ATM card number, and total deposit on the outside of the envelope. Don't worry, all your information is safe inside the ATM. The only eyes that see this info are they eyes of your friendly neighborhood bank teller. However, if you would like to save me or any of my colleagues a slight headache, please include a deposit ticket with your deposit. Even though that information is on the envelope, we still have to have the proper paperwork to send to the back office. So today, when I worked my way through the 22 ATM deposits from this weekend, and only 3 of them included the proper forms, I got a little frustrated.

Frustration number two began at 4:55pm. For those unaware, that's five minutes before closing. A man came in with a plastic grocery bag full of cash as part of his deposit. Ladies and gentlemen, if you have more than $7,000 to deposit, try to make it to the bank earlier in the day. You know, at least by 4:50. 'Cause you know what? That deposit means I'm over the limit that I'm allowed to have in my drawer. So that means I have to sell money to the vault teller so I'm not breaking any company rules. By coming in with that kind of deposit at 4:55, this means we can't actually lock the doors until 5:10, when your business is actually done. This means that I can't balance my drawer, and more importantly, the vault teller can't balance the entire branch until much later than usual. The preceding frustrations could be avoided with a little forethought and courtesy. I know, in this day and age, that's something that's hard to come by. No offense or anything.

My third frustration was not the fault of a customer. I blame faulty technology. The printer stopped working late in the afternoon. This caused me to be unable to print off a few important papers that I needed for my personal records. This also prevented anyone from printing the proper total sheets for the branch closing at the end of the day. Yeah, good day at the bank today. Can't wait to see what Wednesday brings.

Guess that turned into more to say than I thought it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment