Monday, June 23, 2008

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode XXII

The other day my manager pulled myself and my fellow drive-thru worker aside and informed us of something interesting. I take that back. It wasn't interesting. It was annoying. She said she had received a phone call from a customer who complained that the tellers at the drive-thru were not friendly.

Excuse me? Not friendly? I may be a cynic in real life, but when I'm on the job I am all kinds of polite. My regular script is as follows:

"Good morning!" or "Hi, how are you today?" (depending on the time of day)
...then I run Joe Customer's transaction
"Thank you Mr. (or Ms.) Customer, is there anything else I can do for you?"
"Have a good day (afternoon or weekend)"

Is that not polite? I even smile. I'm sure it's a stretch for some of you to believe that I can actually curl that mouth up into a smile, but it can be done. I've even been caught on film.

I guess some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something. And believe me, there are plenty of customers who seem to live for just that purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment