Friday, June 06, 2008

Question of the Week: Perfect Happiness

If you could spend one year in perfect happiness but afterward would remember nothing of the experience would you do so? If not, why not?

Okay, first of all, what is perfect happiness? Not something that I think is possible in this world. I'm sure people can get close to it, probably close enough they think they're there. But I wouldn't go along with something like that if I couldn't remember it. Because what are we if not the sum of our memories? Then again, maybe I wouldn't want to remember it. After spending that year in complete happiness, I'd probably be miserable knowing that I wouldn't be able to get back to that place or that feeling. It'd be like spending a day in Heaven and then being ripped away. Maybe that's a memory I don't want until I can experience it for the rest of eternity.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

1 comment:

  1. if you wouldn't remember your pure happiness then you would have no idea what you were missing so then how could you be sad?

    so you can look at it 2 ways:
    1) you have nothing to lose .. you can spend a year in pure happiness because you'll have nothing to be sad over when it's gone

    or

    2) why spend a year doing something you won't remember anyways?

    j to the h

    ReplyDelete