Friday, June 27, 2008

Question of the Week: Century

Do you think the world will be a better or a worse place 100 years from now?

Not that I'm trying to be a pessimist, but I'm pretty sure it'll be worse. Assuming it's still around in its current form. I'm not gonna sit here and be one of those guys who says that signs keep pointing toward it being the end of days. I mean, there have been people making that claim for the last 2000 years. But I'd say that humanity is on the decline overall. We're overpopulating the earth; Al Gore tells us our environment is giving out; those fossil fuels we depend on will eventually run out (if we can afford to keep using them); criminal activity is on the rise; morality is on the decline. I'm sure there are more problems that I'm just not thinking of at 6:30 in the morning. Mankind is capable of so many great things, but on the flip side, we're just as capable of unimaginable horrors. So I guess 100 years for now, it's a coin toss.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! I think this world can only get worse the way it's going. I just hope for the sake of my children that Christ returns before then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's all perspective. i'm sure my great grandparents thought the world was a horrible place to be almost their entire life. they saw mass genocide in WW I, they saw the war come to their own country in WW II, the Korean War, they saw their children/grandchildren drafted to fight in a war we'd never win/Vietnam and right after my great grandmother passed away there was the Gulf War. They saw assassinations of great, great leaders (JKF, MLK jr.), they lived through the great depression/dust bowl, the stock market crash.

    what else did they see?

    They saw advancement in medicine that allowed them to outlive their parents. They saw man go into outer space. They saw segregation end. They saw the first airplane take flight. They saw Elvis and the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. They saw communism fall. They saw their children grow up and have children of their own.

    they saw a lot of things.


    yup, that's about a hundred years of good and bad. so we've got our own hundred years coming towards us. so what do you do? you persevere. you hold close that which is good in the world and you do one thing every day to make that world a better place.

    but that's just me ...
    jen

    ReplyDelete