Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode XXIII

The other day, a customer/doctor came by to make a deposit. He came into the lobby, and since the other tellers were helping clients, and I had no one at the drive up window, I did my duty and helped out. I've helped this same doctor before and have picked up the vibe that he just doesn't like me. Found out later he's just rude to everyone.

The deposit slip that he handed me was, I assumed, filled out correctly. He wrote the amount of the check to be deposited. He wrote the total at the bottom. Well, to say he filled it out correctly would be a stretch. See, he didn't fill out his account number. He never fills out his account number.

Notice I said that I assumed. Lesson learned: just because someone has an MD after their name, does not mean that they are competent enough to perform simple transactions at the bank. I ran his transaction based on what he wrote on the deposit slip (after I looked up his account number). And then, when I handed him his receipt, he pointed out that the check was for 20,000. Not for 18k which I had run the deposit for.

Why would I run the deposit for $18,000? I'm glad you asked. Because that's what he wrote on the deposit slip. And since I assumed that he was competent enough to write the correct amount on the deposit slip, I didn't pay attention to the check. I know, I should have. I usually do. Again, that's what happens when you assume.

So when he pointed out the mistake, he was kind of a jerk about it. He talked down to me like I was an idiot. I stood there and took it. I reversed the transaction and ran it correctly. I refrained from mentioning that he was the one who wrote the wrong amount on the slip. Seriously, how do you make that kind of mistake? How do you write 18,000 when the check is clearly for 20,000?

Again, I realize that I should have paid closer attention to his check. But from now on, instead of assuming competence, I'll just assume everyone is ignorant, no matter their educational credentials.

I swear, if stupidity were a fatal disease, it would be the number one killer in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment