Sunday, June 01, 2008

Raindrops Keep Falling

Tonight I was sitting with my good friends the Greenes while they enjoyed some dinner at Chili's. I say "they enjoyed" because I wasn't eating. I had, in fact, already eaten, and therefore was not hungry. It wasn't because they were starving me or running some kind of cruel experiment or joke.

Anyway, I was sitting at Chili's with the Greenes while a storm raged on outside the window. As storms go, this wasn't that bad. There were some pretty good streaks of lightning and some pretty heavy downpours, but I've definitely seen worse.

We got to talking about the recent weather conditions. As you may know, North Carolina, as well as most of the south, has dealt with a pretty harsh drought. A few weeks ago, maybe a month or two, rain returned to this area. Not just a little rain. Enough to refill the resevoir and then some. And we've gotten some steady rain a couple times a week recently.

There have been times that I can remember complaining about the rain. Times when it's gotten gray and dreary. Times when I would cancel whatever small plans I had just because I didn't want to go out in the rain. No more. I'm fairly certain that for the rest of my life, I will never complain about the rain again.

You've probably heard that old saying, "Into one's life, a little rain must fall." Usually it's used in the context of someone going through some sort of tragedy or trial in their life. But I challenge you not to think of life's rainstorms as a curse, but a blessing. For nearly a year, it didn't rain regularly, causing vegetation to die and bodies of water to dry up. Now that the rain has returned, it's as if everything has been revitalized.

The rain that inevitably comes into our lives can strengthen us. It gives us something to drink in times when we're thirsty. So thank God for the rain. And not just the rain that falls from the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment