Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Going Dark

A couple weeks ago, Nicole said that she was thinking about going dark. I knew she was talking about coloring her hair, but I asked if she meant "going dark" the way someone like Jack Bauer would "go dark." For those of you who don't watch 24 and aren't hip to that lingo, to go dark would be to cut all ties and break communication.

This gave Nicole the idea to test herself. To see if she could go 24 hours without her cell phone or computer. Not exactly going dark in the Jack Bauer sense, but in today's information-based world, going a full day without a text message or internet could be crippling.

Over the weekend, for some reason, Nicole decided that today would be the day that she would "go dark." Not sure why she picked a Tuesday, or why this day would hold any significance. But she says that she will go all day without using her cell phone or opening her laptop. In the past few days, Kevin and I have both said we didn't think she could do it. This, of course, only fueled that particular fire.

So, in theory, I could say anything I wanted to about Nicole today. She's not going to see it anyway. I could be mean and spread all kinds of vicious rumors. But I won't. When I was at the Greenehouse last night, she emphatically told me not to blog about a specific event which took place. An event which I promised I would refrain from writing about. Now, I could go ahead and report on this occasion, especially since I know she will not be reading about it today. But I am a man of my word. I made a promise and I intend to keep it. Besides, she'll be back on the internet machine tomorrow and I do not want to face that wrath.

I'm not saying that Nicole is particularly wrathy, but she has been known to punch me in the arm. And sometimes she hits really hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment