Wednesday, March 25, 2009

American Idol: 10

It's Motown night on American Idol. Will the kids make the right song choices? In celebration of Motown's 50th anniversary, the contestants are flown to Detroit to meet Motown's founder, Barry Gordy, and their mentor for the week, Smokey Robinson.

Matt Giraud - Let's Get It On
Matt's starting out this Marvin Gaye classic behind the piano. After the first few lines, he gets up and moves around a bit. This guy is really growing on me. I don't think he's the best of the top ten, but I do like him and his voice more this week than I have in weeks past. Overall I think he did a pretty good job with the song. 4.

Kris Allen - How Sweet It Is
Kris does something impressive to start off. He begins a capella, then brings in his guitar and the rest of the band. I thought it was pretty good, but there's something about it that sounded like a guy singing in a talent show or an open mic night somewhere. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. 3.

Scott McIntyre - You Can't Hurry Love
Smokey had nothing negative to say about Scott's version of this song. At first it sounds like it's gonna be slow and boring, but then he kicks it into gear and speeds up the tempo. It seems like he's having some fun with it. It sounds like there are a couple of pitch issues, but he more than makes up for it with an awesome ending. 3.

Megan Corkrey - For Once In My Life
Ten bucks says she does that same shimmy kind of dance behind the mic stand that she's done for the last few weeks. Looking at the way she's dressed and hearing her sing, I'm thinking she should take Kathy Lee's place on the Carnival cruise ships. This is definitely not one of her better performances. In fact, this is actually a pretty bad one. 1.

Anoop Desai - Ooh, Baby Baby
He's singing one of Smokey's own songs, and Smokey thinks he did a great job in the rehearsal. In the beginning it sounded like there was a note or two that was a shade off. But for the most part, I'd say he does a pretty good. There's a lot of falsetto in here that I didn't realize Anoop could hit. 3.

Michael Sarver - Ain't Too Proud to Beg
In my mind, this song is one that needs to start off really strong, and Michael just didn't bring it at the start. He picks up some steam during the song, but I don't think it's enough to save the performance. And to borrow a word from Simon, the ending was just atrocious. I just didn't like it. 1.

Lil Rounds - Heat Wave
Her dress and her hair is kind of retro. She does all right with the song. Once again she shows just how much power she has behind her voice. And again tonight, there seemed to be a few off notes for her too. 3.

Adam Lambert - Tracks of My Tears
This is a vast improvement from last week. Vast. The look is different for him. Almost like he's channeling Elvis Presley. But the voice definitely isn't Elvis. His interpretation of the song is very good. He's able to take Smokey Robinson's song and make it his own. The whole song is consistently great. 5.

Danny Gokey - Get Ready
I like the little move with the back up singers that Danny threw in there. Two songs in a row that are consistently excellent. Danny's still got my vote to win this whole thing. Another 5.

Allison Iraheta - Papa Was a Rolling Stone
I'm not a big Allison fan for the same reason I wasn't a big Amanda Overmeyer fan last year. I'm not a big fan of this type of voice. This isn't an album that I'm gonna rush out and buy. I think she did a pretty good job with the song and nailed the ending. 4. But I'm just not a fan.

Bottom three are Michael, Megan, and Scott. Who's going home? I'd say it's a toss up between Michael and Megan. I was wrong last week though. Could be wrong again this week. We'll find out tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment