Sunday, March 08, 2009

Spring Forward

I knew it. All week I knew. In the back of my mind, I kept reminding myself, "This weekend, spring forward."

And then this weekend came and I neglected to set my clocks an hour forward.

I'm spoiled by a few clocks in my home that automatically change themselves. Okay, it's really only two, but they're the two I use the most: the cable box and my phone. The other two clocks in the apartment (the microwave and a clock/radio) are old school and require a manual push forward.

This morning I awoke and looked at the clock in the bedroom. It read 8:30, so in my mind, I told myself that I didn't even have to start getting ready for church for another hour and a half. So I threw my head back down on the pillow and drifted back into sleep.

The reality of the situation was that it was 9:30 when I woke up that first time. That 90 minutes of extra time was actually 30, but I paid no heed to this "reality." So I got up at 11, thinking it was 10. I walked into the living room to open the laptop and check the old e-mail machine. To my surprise, it was an hour later than I believed it to be.

Oops.

So I overslept and missed church. It's not the first time this has happened and I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world that managed to pull this off today.

Can anyone really explain what this Daylight Savings Time is all about anyway? What's the point? Except to rob most people of an hour every spring. Sure, theoretically we get that hour back in the fall, but it's a long time before November rolls back around.

I said most people, 'cause I don't feel like I was cheated out of anything this time. I slept right through the time change. Did not lose a minute of sleep.

3 comments:

  1. from my understanding it has something to do with the farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why must the rest of us be punished?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still do not believe you!!

    nhg

    ReplyDelete