Friday, March 27, 2009

Question of the Week: Future

You have the power to go any distance into the future and, after one year, return to the present with any knowledge you have gained from your experience but with no physical objects. Would you make the journey if it carried a 50 percent risk of death?

I wouldn't do it. Did we learn nothing from Back to the Future? One mustn't tamper with time travel. The consequences could be disastrous. Though, I guess it would be nice to go into the future and find out which companies are going to be the big money makers. Then I could come back and buy stock now while the prices are low. It would be like those people who just happened to buy stock in Microsoft when it was just starting out. My luck, I'd end up at a point in the future after all civilization as we know it has collapsed and all that are left are roaches and rats. And I'd be stuck there for a year. So forget about the 50% chance of death. I just don't think it'd be worth it to go someplace and have only the rats to talk with for 12 months.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment