Tuesday, March 10, 2009

American Idol: 13

So there was an unseen announcer to introduce the judges and Ryan. In the past, the judges were just sitting a the table. Now they walked to the table as their names were called out. Anyone else think that was weird?

Tonight the top 13 perform the songs of Michael Jackson. Randy just made the claim that any one of the thirteen could win this thing. Yeah, I don't think so. There are a few that are really good. But for the most part, this season has been pretty dull.

Lil Rounds - The Way You Make Me Feel
For the most part Lil does a good job. There are a couple spots where she seems to be a bit off key, but it's definitely not enough to take her out of the competition. A lot of the time, the person to sing first is easily forgettable. That won't happen in Lil's case. I think she has enough of a following that it doesn't matter what place she sings in, she'll still be around next week. 4.

Scott McIntyre - Keep the Faith
Scott is behind the piano tonight, a place where he is obvious comfortable. During the key change, there was a pretty impressive note that he hit. The end seemed just a little sketchy, but overall it was pretty good. 4.

Danny Gokey - PYT
Outstanding. Dude blew it out of the water. I agree with Simon, the vocals were phenomenal, but the dancing was a mess. But I can't judge the guy on the dancing. He's got more rhythm than I've got. Anyway, the whole song was great. 5.

Michael Sarver - You Are Not Alone
Michael is the kind of guy that's got a great personality and a good voice. Something about this song isn't clicking for him. At least, that's the way I see it. It was okay, not great. 3.

Jasmine Murray - I'll Be There
I know I've said before that this kid has a powerful voice. She's a very good singer, but it seems like this song choice was a safe pick. Considering some of Michael Jackson's songs, this one seems a little easier. Don't get me wrong, I think she did a really good job with it. I just think she could have cut loose a little more. 4.

Kris Allen - Remember the Time
Kris is someone that we haven't seen much of during this season. I think that gives him something of a disadvantage. Most of the other contestants gained a lot of exposure during the auditions and Hollywood Week. The first time we really saw Kris was during his first live TV performance. He's accompanying himself on guitar and doing a pretty good job. Some of the song seems a little awkward. Toward the end, some of it turns sort of so-so. 3.

Allison Iraheta - Give In to Me
At first it seems a little too low for her range. She's able to pick up some steam on the chorus. She has a very distinctive sound and style. I thought she did pretty good with it, not great though. 3.

Anoop Desai - Beat It
I think Anoop has a really good voice, but I'm not sure that Beat It is the song to show off his vocal ability. Yeah, it shows that he knows how to inject some energy into his performance, but it's not showing off his actual strength there. I mean, I'd like to see Anoop go further in the competition, and that could just be because he's a local. 2.

Jorge Nunez - Never Can Say Good-Bye
A couple weeks ago, he turned out to be the one to beat in his group of 12. I'm not sure if it's the song choice tonight or what, but it just doesn't seem as memorable as his last performance. What was it he sang? I can't remember. Anyway, there are a couple spots that seem a little off pitch-wise, but it's not a bad performance overall. 3.

Megan Joy Corkrey - Rockin' Robin
At first I thought she was gonna do like her last two performances and just stand behind the mic stand and look awkward. Her motions aren't much better when she takes the mic out and moves away though. She did say that her first time really singing on a stage was with American Idol. I guess the whole stage presence thing hasn't kicked in yet. She did a really good job with the song though. Vocally, I mean. 3.

Adam Lambert - Black and White
I think he'll be okay with this song as long as he doesn't end it with the hardcore vandalism of a car. A lot of the song was good, but there were a couple parts that were just bad. Like he lost some of the control. There was a lot more good than bad though. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with something from Aerosmith. 4.

Matt Giraud - Human Nature
Matt's another of our contestants that is clearly very comfortable behind a piano. The vocals aren't stellar and honestly, the song is kind of boring. He doesn't have as great a control over his falsetto as Adam did. It was okay. 3.

Alexis Grace - Dirty Diana
I had no idea that this girl had a voice as powerful as she does. I was pleasantly surprised. 4.

For me, best of the night was Danny. My picks for bottom three are Anoop, Michael, and Kris. Sadly, I think Anoop will be going home this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment