Tuesday, March 03, 2009

American Idol - Top 36, Week III

I love Tuesdays and Wednesdays during this time of the year. I don't have to be incredibly creative, I just have to watch American Idol and I have my blog for the day. And this week, I get three posts out of it. I love the extra episode! Actually, I'll probably complain about spending an hour watching the judges give another look at the contestants that weren't good enough to get the public votes. In the meantime, we get the last group of 12 that will perform before the wild card choices.

For the most part, I don't have a lot of hope for this group as a whole. I only say that because the first two groups were, for the most part, a disappointment. Is it possible that the people at American Idol, after eight years of searching for the perfect pop stars, have exhausted America of its talented people?

Von Smith - You're All I Need to Get By
Here's another one that I couldn't believe made it to the top 36. Throughout the song, it sounds like he's not quite in tune. His mom and sister are jumping up and down like he's Elvis. He's not Elvis. I thought the song was a little too big for him. The judges don't agree with me. They liked his performance. I'll agree with one thing, he did better than Hollywood week. Maybe it sounded different in person than it did on TV. 2.

Taylor Vaifanua - If I Ain't Got You
I think she's done a pretty good job with this song. She's got a great voice and I think it's very good. The judges don't seem to like it. I didn't realize that she performed this song during Hollywood week, we really didn't see her during those shows. I think the judges and I are hearing different things tonight. 3.

Alex Wagner-Trugman - I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues
Right away they make mention of the fact that he's been on the internet reading about how people are calling him a dork. I don't know about how much of a dork he is, but he does remind me a lot of Ross from Friends. I don't think this performance is awful, but it's not great either. When he's got it in control, it's pretty good. But he goes over the top a lot. And the key change was really shaky. 3.

Arianna Afsar - The Winner Takes It All
Vocally, this girl is very talented. But I'm pretty sure the judges are going to give her a hard time about this song being too old fashioned for her age. They probably want her to come out and do something younger and peppier. I mean, she seriously has a powerful voice, but it is pretty boring. 3. BTW, Paula did call it old fashioned. I called it.

Ju'not Joyner - Hey There, Delilah
I really like this song, but I was disappointed with the way a lot of contestants did it during Hollywood week. I'm not sure I like this arrangement, bringing it down, making it way too mellow. And what's with the handcuffs hanging off the belt? I'm not sure I get it. I'm sorry, but this song just doesn't work like this. 2.

Kristen McNamara - Give Me One Reason
Personally, I'm not much of a fan of this song. As soon as the band started playing, it sounded like the beginning of something you'd hear in a karaoke bar. Fitting since this girl works as a karaoke hostess. She's not doing a bad job, but it is a very karaoke-like performance. 3.

Nathaniel Marshall - I Would Do Anything For Love
Another karaoke performance. I wonder if it's hard for him to eat with the staples in his bottom lip. I didn't like the performance. Uh... 2.

Felicia Barton - No One
She's a replacement player who has been given a second chance at this thing. On top of some pitch issues, her voice cracks once or twice. She was cut before. I think she'll be cut again. 2.

More than halfway through the show I have to ask, what the heck is up with the judges? Are they on crack tonight? It's like their judgments are just completely off. Seriously, are they even listening to the same people that I am?

Scott McIntyre - Mandolin Rain
I've been curious how this would play out for him. I've wondered how a blind guy would do on a live stage in front of a live audience. He's done a really good job. I actually think it's the best so far tonight. I don't know if it's a 5, but it's a solid 4.

Kendall Beard - This One's For the Girls
This song definitely fits her personality, but she's just not doing it very well. I think there are some definite pitch issues going on here. And the ending almost sounds like she's not sure what to do with it. She kind of gives off a Kristen Chenoweth kind of vibe. Except without the same vocal talent. 2.

Jorge Nunez - Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me
In his interview he said that he is now very aware of his accent as he sings. That's obviously something that he's worked very hard on in rehearsal, because there isn't even the hint of a Puerto Rican accent in this song. For the first time tonight, we have a great voice and a great song to go with it. Everything about this performance was right. I gots to go with a 5.

Lil Rounds - Be Without You
Lil definitely has a great voice and has a huge personality. Without a doubt, she is very comfortable on this stage. She delivers one of the best performances of the night and I'm pretty sure she'll sail through to the top 12. 5.

I'm fairly certain that we'll have two girls going through this week because of the fact that, so far, the guys really outnumber the girls in the top 12. Despite that logic, I'm hoping the votes will still be based on actual talent. So the ones that I think will be the top three will be Lil, Jorge, and Scott.

1 comment:

  1. Last night was the first night I've watched of American Idol all season, and I have to agree 100% with your predictions. Who is that other girl judge? She got on my nerves a little bit, well a lot actually.

    ReplyDelete