Thursday, March 05, 2009

American Idol - Wild Card Round

So, I had been thinking that the Wild Card folks would have their own week to perform and get the vote from the public. But apparently, the public didn't want them the first time around, so the public doesn't get to choose this time. Tonight, the eight Wild Card contestants will each sing their last chance song. Then the judges will decide the three best performers of the night, rounding out the Top 12.

Jesse Langseth - Tell Me Something Good
This is her last ditch effort and this is what she pulls out? Seriously? Two lines into it, I'm thinking the judges would have done a lot better bringing back Sanjaya Malakar. No, wait... pretend I didn't say that. That was atrocious. 1.

Matt Giraud - Who's Lovin' You
The dueling pianist took the judges' advice to heart and is sticking to something with a real bluesy kind of feel to it. It's actually really good. Compared to his last performance, when he sang Coldplay's Viva La Vida, he's doing surprisingly well. 4.

Megan Corkrey - Black Horse and a Cherry Tree
Again, this is much better than her previous performance and a better song choice. She sings it well and it seems to fit her. However, once again, her stand still choreography is kind of rough. That last note was kind of rough too. 3.

Von Smith - Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word
I know this has nothing to do with his singing ability, but he kind of creeps me out. When he stares into the camera, it's like trying to stare down Dwight Shrute. Except he's not funny. The song itself isn't bad, but isn't good. It's just... eh... It didn't start out very well. It got pretty decent in the middle. But then it didn't end very well. 2.

Jasmine Murray - Reflection
It's usually a pretty gutsy move to pick a Christina Aguilera song. Of those pop princesses of the early 21st century, Christina's definitely the most talented. She's a tough chick to measure up to. Despite her age, Jasmine has proven that she has a very powerful voice. And that wasn't her problem last time, the problem was her choice of song. This time she picked the right song. I don't know if I'd call this a perfect performance, but it's definitely very good. 4.

Ricky Braddy - Superstitious
Right away, he seems a little flat. There's a moment where the song just gets too low for his range. He hits his falsetto notes pretty well. Overall I'm not that impressed. 3.

Tatiana Del Toro - Saving All My Love For You
Every time her name is mentioned, my eyes do an automatic roll. Every time she speaks, I just want to scream SHUT UP at the TV over and over again. Another gutsy decision, pulling out the Whitney. Gutsier that this is the same song that she did when she wasn't voted through the first time. It makes me sick that can actually sing. And I mean that literally. Physically ill. She had me until the end. 4. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP! I think I'm getting a migraine.

Anoop Desai - My Prerogative
Did he do this during Hollywood Week? I can't remember. I think he did. If it wasn't him, it was somebody. If it's a repeat song, that could hurt him in the judges' eyes. But, despite the rerun, he is doing a very good job with it. Again, not a perfect performance, but very good nonetheless. 4.

Now, before the judges make their final decisions, I'm going to pick the three that I think have the talent and ability to do well in the top 12. I scored 4s for 4 different people. But I can't, on principle, make Tatiana one of my picks. So I'm gonna say Matt Giraud, Jasmine Murray, and Anoop Desai.

After a break, during which the judges made their picks, Jasmine is brought to the stage. She is in the top 12. Ricky is up next, but doesn't get the same good news. Megan and Tatiana are brought up together. That tells me that one of them is probably safe. I'm nervous about this. I'm nervous and a little nauseated. The nausea is now gone, Megan is going on to the 12. That was far too close... uh... awkward... is Tatiana praying at the American Idol judges' table?

Okay... this is embarrassing. My DVR shut off during that last commercial. I wasn't home to watch the show live, so I'm guessing that the show ran past 9:00. I don't know who the final finalist is.

According to this Yahoo! article, Matt Giraud was picked as number 12. Then Simon announced that they decided there should be a 13th contestant. Lucky number 13 went to Chapel Hill's own Anoop Desai. So I guess all three of my choices went through, in kind of a roundabout way. And I'm pretty sure I got last night's winners right too. I had a pretty good week. Now that Tatiana is gone for good, I'm actually looking forward to the real competition next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment