Sunday, December 27, 2009

Delicious

This week's prompt from Sunday Scribblings is incredibly appropriate, especially since I have yet to describe my Christmas Eve for my readership of three to five people.

As Christmas Eve has so often been for me, it was a night filled with family, food, and fun (in the form of a five dollar gift exchange). Well, the fun also came later when I was able to sit around with my cousin and his friend and speak geek for the duration of the night.

The delicious part came pretty close to the beginning of the evening, as all large meals should. It was the Thanksgiving dinner that I never got this year. I'm gonna try to describe everything that was there, but I just know I'll leave something out. It was one of those meals where there was so much to eat, that it couldn't all possibly be eaten. At least, not by our one family... and there were 21 of us...

But let's go with the run-down:
  • Turkey
  • Ham
  • Mashed Potatoes & Gravy (those count as one...)
  • Stuffing
  • Cranberries
  • Cranberries (two kinds...)
  • Broccoli Casserole
  • Pineapple Casserole
  • Macaroni & Cheese
  • Baked Apples
  • Rolls
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Rum Cake
  • Various Cookies
  • Ham & Cheese Dip w/ Crackers
  • Ham & Cheese Crescent Roll-Up Thingies
Like I said, I'm sure I left something out. My plate wasn't large enough for everything on the menu, much as I tried. And by the time I finished round one, there was no way I could go back for seconds. I mean, I guess I could have, but I probably would have died. My blood would have been replaced with gravy. I would have been leaking cranberries through my pores. I'm sure it would have made for a good Christmas portrait.

The rest of the evening was nice. I don't get excited about Christmas like I used to. Someone once told me that it was because I had grown-up, and it just isn't as magical as it was back then. That same person said the magic would return when I had kids of my own. Don't hold your breath on that one. But it was fun to watch the cousins' kids get excited over their gifts, along with my youngest cousin, who is still only 5. One of my older cousins has a boy who is one of those rough and tumble kind of kids. He found his way into one of his sister's empty boxes and was pretty much having the time of his life. Until he couldn't figure out how to get back out of it. That made for a pretty good laugh among the grown-ups.

2 comments:

  1. Last year I didn't feel the magic of Christmas. Throughout the course of 2009 I realized that the magic of Christmas is of my own making. I love to find the perfect gift for someone. I start listening to conversations the day of Christmas for things that aren't hints but wished and dreams of a prospective recipient. My magic is found in the hunt for the gift. It is in the decorating of my home. Think about this in 2010 and maybe you will find your magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you at least had a great meal and shared special moments with family. The magic of Christmas...well that's a deeper something than all the hype. I'm awed by it whenever I really remember what it's all about anyway.

    ReplyDelete