Thursday, December 24, 2009

No Singing

I took a road trip today. All the way from Wake Forest, North Carolina to Roanoke, Virginia. That's right, I made that fateful three hour drive to the old home town.

Usually when I make a trip like this, I like to listen to music and sing along at the tops of my lungs. Okay, usually when I make trips as simple as driving to the grocery store, I like to listen to music and sing along at the tops of my lungs. I love to sing, and lately, I've found that singing in the car is really the only place I can do such a thing.

But today I only listened. Not once did I open my mouth to utter a note in the entire three hours I was on the road. And I just can't think of a good reason why I didn't. Well, maybe I was just in a funk.

I already said a couple days ago that I was ready for Christmas to be over with. But I'm honestly unsure of where these feelings are coming from. Why do I lack the Christmas spirit?

Tonight I'll be surrounded by family, gorging myself on all the things I didn't get to eat at Thanksgiving. I'm sure there will be a great number of laughs between my cousin and I. I'm sure there will be more than a few sentimental moments that I'll, let's be honest, just pretend to play along with in the sentiment of it all. It's no secret that I haven't a sentimental bone in my body. I'm sure I'll field questions about the girlfriend that I don't have and my time frame for giving up and moving back to Virginia.

When all is said and done, it will be a good time had. Then I'll retire back to Mom's house, where I'll stay up all night watching A Christmas Story about six times in a row. But I still don't feel like singing.

2 comments:

  1. You just turn that car right around and drive to MN. We will give you the Christmas spirit that you are missing. We are a silly bunch and won't ask uncomfortable probing questions.
    When you leave here you will want to sing. If for no other reason than you are free from the lunacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the invite! Christmas with the family turned out pretty well. Maybe Christmas just doesn't seem that special because I'm grown up now. But it was a lot of fun watching my cousins' kids and seeing how excited they were. That was enough to make it special for me again. Even if for only a little while.

    ReplyDelete