Saturday, October 22, 2011

AFI 73 - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
1969
Directed by George Roy Hill
Netflix sleeve: Legendary outlaws Butch Cassidy (Paul Newman) and the Sundance Kid (Robert Redford) display their gifts for perfect comedic timing and charisma as they pull of heist after heist in this Academy Award-winning film from director George Roy Hill. To evade a relentless posse, the boys flee to Bolivia, thinking they'll find easier pickings there. But trouble finds the charming desperadoes wherever they go, prompting yet another run.

This is one I'm a little surprised I've never sat down to watch before. But it's probably because I generally do into things assuming I'm not going to like a Western. I need to stop assuming that because I thought this was a pretty great movie. I may not have seen the whole thing before, but certain scenes have been shown so many times that they're burned into my brain: Butch riding the bicycle with Etta to the song stylings of BJ Thomas, Butch and Sundance jumping off a cliff to evade their pursuers, and their last stand in Bolivia. Despite knowing the ending, I still kind of hoped that they would make it out okay. Spoiler alert... they probably didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment