Friday, October 21, 2011

Question of the Week: Picking Up the Check

In a nice restaurant, after getting the check for an excellent meal, you notice that you were not charged for one of the items you ate. Would you tell the waitress?

I don't what constitutes a "nice" restaurant, but this has happened to me on a number of occasions. And I always say something whenever I'm undercharged. If I don't say something, I'm pretty sure karma would come back to bite me in the butt. Besides, more often than not, the waitress might thank me for my honesty and then not make me pay anyway. I'm pretty sure it's only happened once in my life that I brought up not being charged for something that they actually went back and corrected my bill and made me pay for what was left off. Whether they make me pay or not, I walk out of the restaurant with a clear conscience.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

2 comments:

  1. The "Honesty is the best policy" approach may cost you a few dollars more from time to time, but it sure makes it easier to sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what I'd do if I were undercharged... hmmm? I do know that last night we were overcharged, well, more like the waitress didn't take off an item we had a free coupon for, and I told the manager when he stopped by to ask about our meal. We praised everything else and he gladly adjusted the mistake.

    ReplyDelete