Friday, October 14, 2011

Question of the Week: Under Strong Advisement

If you decided to do something and your friends strongly advised you not to, could you do it anyway?

While I absolutely value the opinion of my friends, ultimately, whatever this decision is, it's my decision to make. I'm the one who would have to live with whatever consequences may arise. On the other hand, I'm the one who would enjoy the rewards if it turned out to be a good decision. Life is full of risk and no matter what, we are a product of the choices we've made.

I've been there, though. While I don't like to give unsolicited advice, I have been the one to give advice and not have it followed. Being that friend, it kind of makes it hard to want to help out when asked. But I don't like to say, "I told you so," either. So my hope, if I had friends who were strongly advising me to not do something and I did it anyway, and it turned out to be a mistake, is that they wouldn't hold it against me. That turned into a really bad sentence. Anyway, I hope they would just continue to be my friends no matter what.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment