Monday, November 01, 2010

Day One

My Favorite Song

You know, I'm not sure that I have a favorite song. Don't get me wrong, I love music. I sort of play the guitar, but not very well. I wish I could play the piano, but that's a dream that I wish I had embraced as a kid when I still had the opportunity to learn. So I'm not good with the instruments, but I've been singing since I was old enough to speak.

I'm not the kind of person who can spout off the names of lead singers and guitarists in obscure bands. I can't tell you what track number 4 is on any particular album. All I know is if the song is something I can sing along with, there's a good chance I'm going to like it. That being said, I guess there are several songs that could be classified as "favorites." And my reasoning for liking these songs above others aren't necessarily because they're catchy or historically awesome songs. The songs I love are just songs that I've associated with people I love over the years.

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
This song should be considered historically awesome. If you don't feel that way, deal with my opinion. This is my blog and my post about my favorite songs. This song is my ringtone, assigned specifically to anyone of my friends from college whenever they call me. I don't know where it started or why I decided this song was awesome. One day a few years ago, it just did.

We Built This City - Starship
Another 80s song that, okay, isn't that great of a song. But it reminds me of a family that I've become very close to over the last few years. Whenever the Most Awesome Person I Know calls, that's the song I hear from my phone. I know she can't stand the song, but I can't help it if that's the song I associate with her and her kids. When I first moved to Wake Forest, this family took me in and accepted me as one of their own. And, at the time, we were kind of obsessed with the game SingStar on the Playstation. The 80s disc had this song on it. It was kind of a big deal.

Lucky - Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat
This is probably my favorite song of the moment. I like Jason Mraz's stuff and I have fun singing along on his music. And, I have to say, there's a very good chance that I'm in love with Colbie Caillat. Try not to make that awkward. I haven't had a chance to tell her how I feel yet.

It Is Well With My Soul - Horatio Spafford
Being one who was raised in church, I grew up singing lots of hymns on a regular basis. That's just what Sunday morning in a Baptist church meant in a time before they allowed us to have guitars and drum sets. Of all the hymns that I was exposed to, It Is Well With My Soul is my absolute favorite. Spafford, the man who wrote the lyrics, experienced a great deal of tragedy in his life before writing this song. The words are a reminder that no matter what happens in one's life, God is still in control. I've always found this hymn to be powerful and inspirational.
When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

1 comment:

  1. I love "Lucky", too, and I was pretty psyched when they sang it on Glee a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete