Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Perils of Pizza Delivery, Part 8

I was scheduled to leave work at 8pm last night. More often than not, that scheduled time off is extremely flexible. Personally, I like getting off when I'm scheduled to get off because I like having the ability to go home and eat dinner before 10 at night.

But last night was one of those nights where 8pm came and went and I was still delivering pizza. I mean, it wasn't so late when I finished what I thought would be my last delivery. Maybe 10 after. So I got back to the store and began doing the busy work that was assigned to me. Just a few little things: restocking the Coke coolers, fluffing the cheese, etc.

Just as I was about to find someone to clock me out, the guy running the oven, Lee, called me over and asked if I wanted to do one more run. There were no other drivers in the store at the time. So at first I thought he was just desperate to get this order out quickly. With that, I really thought about just saying no. But then I realized that he was trying to do me a favor. The delivery was an order of 10 pizzas to a really nice neighborhood. Lee, being a former driver, assumed that the tip would be pretty good. So I grabbed it.

That 10-pizza delivery brought me an $18 tip at the end of my night. Sure I didn't get home 'til after 9, but it was well worth it. And to Lee, wherever you are, I thank you. That one delivery can nearly fill my gas tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment