Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Chilling Connection

I have this tendency to watch the Harry Potter movies whenever they're on TV. Having HBO included in the price of my rent gives me plenty of opportunities to watch these movies. At least, I have plenty of opportunities to see Sorcerer's Stone and the two Deathly Hallows films. Those are the ones currently showing on the various HBO channels from time to time.

Anyway, I was watching Deathly Hallows Part II the other day and something occurred to me. It's something that I haven't thought of before, which is surprising because I'm such a huge geek. It's the kind of thought that should have hit me ages ago. It's the kind of thought that some other funny geek probably came up with long before I did.

You know that scene when Snape gathers all the students in the Great Hall in the middle of the night? It's right after Harry, Ron and Hermione finally arrive at Hogwarts. Well, Snape and McGonagall have an impromptu duel and then Snape turns tail and runs. Except he doesn't really run. His cloak goes kind of crazy, then he turns into a puff of smoke and flies out the window, shattering the glass in the process.
That's when it occurred to me, that's how these Death Eaters travel. And if you're not familiar with the term Death Eater, you should know they're Voldemort's followers. We see them moving around this way over and over throughout the final films. Most notably, a group of these black puffs of smoke destroyed London's Millennium Bridge during Half-Blood Prince.
Where else have we seen a fast moving puff of black smoke? Yeah, it was back on a mysterious, nameless island in the middle of the South Pacific. Remember the smoke monster from Lost? Well, if you've been wondering all this time, like I have, as to what the smoke monster really was, this should clear it up. The black smoke is obviously a Death Eater.
But it can't just be any old Death Eater. It has to be the original Death Eater. The one that even Voldemort aspired to be. Because Lost showed us that the black smoke originated hundreds of years ago. That means that he was able to do something that Voldemort was never able to do: live forever.

How's your mind? Blown? Yeah, I thought it might be.

1 comment: