Friday, October 05, 2012

TV Time


I don't have a DVR anymore. It's a luxury that I very much miss. But I can't complain too much because I still get cable. And it feels like it's free because the cost is worked into my rent.

But I'm not sure a DVR is even necessary anymore, because so many shows are available through the internet the day after they air. That being said, I'm sure you're all dying to know what shows I'm keeping up with this television season. I don't want to leave you hanging.
  • How I Met Your Mother - This should come as no surprise to anyone who reads this blog. Season 8 may be the final season, which means that we will finally meet the mother of Ted's children. I'm hoping for resolution in that mystery, as well as the completion of the slaps that Marshall still owes Barney.
  • Bones - I've been with this one since the beginning. I'm not about to stop now. The dynamic between the characters has always been great. And they occasionally have a recurring villain, but they don't beat that dead horse. They throw in a lot of done-in-one episodes in between, keeping the story from stagnating and feeling drawn-out.
  • Revolution - This is the only new drama that I'm allowing myself to get caught up in. Others have looked interesting, but I just don't want to invest in a lot of new things. This one looked interesting enough to keep me coming back. I want to know why the power shut off. It would not surprise me if it has something to do with a certain button in a certain hatch not being pushed.
  • Go On - And this is the only new comedy I'm allowing myself to get caught up in. I'm a fan of Matthew Perry. And I've already gotten some great group therapy ideas from his fake grief counseling sessions. In a lot of ways, the group dynamic reminds me of the lovable misfits we see on Community.
  • New Girl - Jessica got me watching this show toward the end of the season last year. I watched every episode from the first season on Hulu and found it to be hilarious. So I'm in for this year.
  • Modern Family - Consistently one of the funniest things on TV. Dozens of Emmy nominations and wins can't be wrong.
  • Survivor - I don't know why. I just... I don't know.
  • 30 Rock - A final season for an historically great show. Gotta see how they wrap it up. I thought it was a little disappointing last year, but this season's premiere was hilarious.
  • The Office - Another final season. Past due, in my opinion, but I still think the characters are highly entertaining. I think I'll miss Creed the most.
  • Parks & Recreation - Ron Swanson is awesome. That is all.
  • Glee - Honestly, I couldn't care less about the stories or the characters on this show anymore. I haven't cared since about midway through season 2. But I still love the music. I generally have this show as background noise while I do something else. Like when I'm writing a blog post.
  • Community - As if Alison Brie wasn't enough reason for me to watch. I've long considered this the smartest comedy on TV. I'm a little scared about how this season will work since creator and showrunner Dan Harmon was fired over the summer. I'm hopeful.
  • Fringe - Again, a final season for a show. Despite its low ratings in recent years, it's been consistently awesome. I have to see how it ends.
  • The Amazing Race - Again... I don't know.
  • Once Upon a Time - It's like they took all your favorite Disney movies and threw them in a blender and this is what came out.
  • The Walking Dead - This is the only one I worry about being able to see this year. See, my free cable doesn't include AMC. My free cable is actually provided by Dish Network, which doesn't carry AMC for whatever selfish financial reasons. So if I'm not willing to buy each episode from Amazon or iTunes, I'm out of luck. But it's an awesome show. My solemn vow is that I will see season 3 eventually.
Well, that's it. I know it looks like a lot. But I think it's actually cut down a lot from a few years ago. What are you watching? Is there anything you think I'm missing out on? I can't promise I'll start watching it, but let me know in the comments and I'll be glad to give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. My list is pretty similar.

    NCIS--I just love the character dynamics. Can't give it up, even though I feel like the writers are now intentionally keeping us from having what we really want.

    White Collar--never disappointing

    Psych--actually, I haven't watched in a couple seasons. I keep saying I'll catch up via Netflix at some point.

    Covert Affairs--but they're on notice. They have some stuff to make right.

    Burn Notice--they WERE on notice last season, but this season blew me away. I remembered all the reasons I loved it to begin with.

    Vampire Diaries--What? Say something? It's one of the best written shows out there. Can't get enough.

    SNL--it's tradition. I'm liking some of the new guys.

    Parks and Rec--Two words. Ron Swanson. There is NOTHING about this show that doesn't delight me.

    The Office--what you said.

    Bones--also what you said

    The Voice--My favorite reality singing competition show. And not ONLY because I have a huge crush on Adam Levine.

    SYTYCD--always amazing. That is all.

    New Girl--also what you said

    Walking Dead--can. not. wait.

    Revolution--yep, I'm alllll in. Also the only new show we're doing this season. I hope you're right about the hatch.

    Honorable mentions (meaning, I'm stoked if I can catch one when I have some free time, but I don't MAKE time for them anymore) go to: How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Community, 30 Rock, and Raising Hope.

    I probably should check out Modern Family on your recommendation, but I'm really trying for LESS not more TV in my life. Super glad all mine don't air at the same time.

    ReplyDelete