Monday, October 01, 2012

Question of the Week: Sensible


What's the most sensible thing you've ever heard someone say?

"You have to be a little crazy to be a good counselor." I'm not sure where I first heard this or who said it. Could have been someone back at the Baptist Home or someone with my current employer back when I worked with them years ago. It's something I've repeated and found to be true. I've spoken to a lot of counselors who have been through some form of therapy themselves. In my case, I wanted to get into counseling in spite of a lot of the counselors who worked with me as a teenager. I felt that most of them lacked any real compassion and had no business working in this field. Others are inspired to help others because someone genuinely helped them somewhere along the way. Whatever the case, it seems that if you aren't in some way touched by insanity when you start counseling, you will be by the time you quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment