Friday, October 19, 2012

The Rock Star


At the beginning of this school year, I was asked by the powers that be to switch schools. When I started my job as a counselor, I was located at a school that was just past the middle of nowhere. This year, I'm working at a school that's just this side of nowhere. I mean, they have a gas station. Kind of a big deal.

I wasn't thrilled with the change at the time. Who likes change? For an introvert, like me, it almost felt like a punishment. But I decided to make the best of it. I would be doing the same job and I would just keep doing it to the best of my ability. It wasn't easy, at first. But I've made friends. I've gotten comfortable with the layout of my new school. I like the way things work.

But that doesn't mean I didn't jump at the chance to go back to the old school. The counselor that I left behind in my old school had a free day off coming to her. In order for this to happen, she needed someone to cover her clients for her on her day off. I was the most logical choice, since I had previously worked in that school and knew the kids I'd be working with.

Like I said, I like where I work now. But going back to my old school kind of made me feel like a rock star today.

When I walked into the kindergarten classroom, filled with children I do not know, the teachers not only noticed my haircut, but commented on my recent weight loss. Old School - 1, New School - 0.

When I walked into the cafeteria during lunch, I was greeted by the shouts from the 2nd graders. These are the kids I worked with when they were 1st graders. They greeted me using the nickname they gave me last year. "Dr. Pepper! Come sit with us!" That's right, they competed for my attention, trying to get me to sit in certain seats around the table. Old School - 2, New School - 0.

Throughout the day, I was told by no fewer than six individuals that I was missed at the school. Several of those individuals are individuals that I never even directly worked with last year. Old School - 3, New School - 0.

I think the score speaks for itself. I'm not saying I want to go back to my old school. As I stated above, I really do like my new school and the people in it. I'm just suggesting that they may have some catching up to do if they want to start treating me like a rock star as well.

Rock on, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment