Thursday, October 04, 2012

Why Do We Cry?

Source: vi.sualize.us via Nancy on Pinterest

I spend a lot of time on the Facebook. Well, more than I used to. I don't consider it an unhealthy amount. But I also don't consider my caffeine intake an unhealthy amount, though I'm well aware of my severe addiction to the stuff. But I noticed a status update from the Most Awesome Person I Know.

Apparently she had decided to watch a known tearjerker. If you're unfamiliar with the tearjerker, this is a movie or program which is likely to make the viewer cry, possibly in an uncontrollable fashion. The movie in question was P.S. I Love You. This is a film that I have, in fact, seen before. I did not cry.

But it apparently has that affect on some people, including my friend. And she couldn't help wondering why she would put herself through that. Why would she watch a movie that she knows will make her cry every time she watches it? Does she enjoy crying?

Does anybody really enjoy crying? Think about what happens when a person cries. Tears stream from the eyes. This causes a difficulty in seeing. Once the tears stop, there's a certain feeling of dryness and itchiness in the eyes. Then there's the running of the nose. Breathing becomes impaired. And have you ever looked at yourself when you cry? Does a beautiful crier exist? If such a person is out there, I have never seen them.

So why do it? Why do people put themselves through the misery of watching something that will make them an emotional wreck? What good can come of it?

So here's a list of a few movies that one should avoid if you do not want to cry. If you're a glutton for punishment, watch away.
  • Old Yeller
  • Sophie's Choice
  • Love Story
  • Bambi
  • Steel Magnolias
  • A Walk to Remember
  • My Girl
  • The Lion King
  • Terms of Endearment
  • Batman & Robin
Okay, that last one isn't really a tearjerker. It's just a good idea to avoid it at all costs. Though, if you're a big Clooney fan, the movie may cause you to cry anyway. It's that bad.

1 comment: