Wednesday, October 03, 2012

AFI 53 - The Deer Hunter

The Deer Hunter
1978
Directed by Michael Cimino
Netflix sleeve: In this Oscar-winning epic from director Michael Cimino, a group of working-class friends decides to enlist in the Army during the Vietnam War and finds it to be hellish chaos--not the noble venture they imagined. Before they left, Steven (John Savage) married his pregnant girlfriend--and Michael (Robert De Niro) and Nick (Christopher Walken) were in love with the same woman (Meryl Streep). But all three are different men upon their return.

Pretty sure I said it back when I reviewed Platoon. Probably said it when I reviewed Full Metal Jacket, too. I'm just not a big fan of the Vietnam War epics. That's not to say I thought that either of those movies was bad. And I didn't think this one was bad either. It's just not a genre that I would choose to watch when faced with a choice of what to watch on movie night. I will say the acting was really well done. And now I have Apocalypse Now to look forward to at some point on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment