Tuesday, January 01, 2008

So, Where Were You At Midnight?

I was asleep. That's right.

All of you out there who were living it up and partying into the wee hours of the morning, I was sleeping soundly on the couch in my living room.

I had no parties to attend, no friends to count down with, no girl to kiss at the beginning of 2008. For most of yesterday I wondered what I should do to celebrate the New Year. For most of the day, I couldn't come up with a single thing.

Then around 8, I thought about a movie marathon. But not just any movie marathon. Star Wars. I thought it was a pretty good idea. And if you're a raging geek, like myself, you'll think it was a pretty good idea too. The part I didn't think about was how tired I actually was. No reason to be tired, just a week or so of staying up late and waking up early finally catching up to me. So last night, I didn't even make it through Episode II.

Not like I haven't seen it before.

But as I sat through the end of Phantom Menace (say what you will about Episode I, that was a friggin' awesome lightsaber fight), I realized that there was no way Obi-Wan should've won that fight against Darth Maul. Brace yourselves, I'm going into full geek mode now. At the end of Episode III, when Obi-Wan beats Vader, he does so claiming that he has the high ground, that there's no way for Vader to beat him. Take a second to think about the position Obi-Wan is in at the end of Phantom Menace. He's dangling over a bottomless pit, weaponless, with the enemy standing directly above him. And yet, he is able to pull him self out, flip over Maul, pull his fallen master's saber, and cut the bad guy in half. Using the logic from Revenge of the Sith, Maul had the higher ground, thus, there was no way Kenobi should've won that fight.

Wow, I really did get my geek on. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment