Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know, Part 2

It's time for the second in the series...

Makenzie asks several questions: Do you parallel park or drive around the block? What's the strangest talent you have? Do you want to bring sexy back? Have you ever met a celebrity? What do you call those little plastic things on the ends of shoelaces? What are your religious beliefs? What is your favorite flavor in general? Coke or Pepsi?

Makenzie, you ask many interesting questions.

First, I am an excellent parallel parker. But I will drive around the block if I can't find a good spot the first time around.

My strangest talent would have to be my ability to play "The William Tell Overture" by slapping my cheeks.

I actually don't feel the need to bring sexy back. As far as I'm concerned, it never left.

Yes.

According to Tom Cruise and Elisabeth Shue in the classic film Cocktail, those little plastic things on the ends of shoelaces are known as Flugalbinders. I'm really not sure of the correct spelling.

I am a Christian. For me, this means that religion isn't so much about religion, but a relationship with Jesus Christ. To me, the word religion invokes a sense of tradition and rigidity. In a lot of ways tradition can be good, but not when it gets in the way of one's ability to walk with God. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God who was born to live a perfect life as an example to all humanity. I believe He was crucified as a sacrifice for my sin. I believe that His sacrifice paved the way to Heaven. And I believe that in order for me to get there, I need to give my life over to Him and allow Him to be the Lord of my life. I also believe that this is not an easy journey, but my faith in Him and His strength allows me to do just that. There are a lot of other details in my belief system, but those are what I find to be the most important facets of my faith. There is room for a lot of interpretation when it comes to God's word. The way He speaks to us can be a very personal thing. The biggest thing that matters is what we each did with Jesus, because He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. You can't get to the Father without Him.

In general, my favorite flavor is vanilla.

Coke. No doubt about it.

Josh, Heather, & Porter ask: If you could live anywhere in the US, where would it be? What is one thing you know you should do but don't? Porter wants to know when he is going to get to meet you?

I'm not sure who's asking what, so I'm going to assume that each of you asked your question in the order in which your names were presented.

Josh, in theory, being single with no real attachments, I could live anywhere in the US. But you have to factor in the fact that I'm kind of a wimp. I never feel like I'm very good at making new friends when I find myself in a new place. In reality, I'm probably better at it than I think, but I do put that limitation on myself. Over the last few years, I guess I've had ample opportunity to move somewhere random, but I never took advantage of that. Also I always figure I can't afford a random move, so that's been a hindrance too. But I'm pretty sure that if I could move anywhere, I'd probably go check out the Pacific Northwest. Maybe Seattle specifically.

Heather, you ask a tough question. One thing that I should do that I don't is write more in my spare time. I keep saying that I want to write a book and I have all these ideas floating around my head, but I'm really not doing much about it. Yeah, I do sit down at the computer every now and then and bang out a few pages at a time. But it's not as if I've made it a huge priority. If being a writer is a real goal in my life, I should really care more about it.

And Porter, I feel bad that I still haven't met you yet. I'm sorry that my travels have not carried me back to old Virginia very often since you were born. Alas, I believe my next trip to your neck of the woods will be Christmas, and you know how the holidays can be. Things are always crazy. And I know by then, you'll have passed the one year mark. Strange, huh? Going your whole first year without meeting Aaron. But here is my promise, you will get to meet me before you graduate from high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment